Off-street parking areas for operable, private passenger vehicles, that have a capacity of twenty-five (25) or more parking spaces, shall contain landscaped areas, located entirely within the edges of the off-street parking area, in accordance with Figure 61-14-223, and that serve to break up the expanse of pavement and manage stormwater. A raised curb must edge the landscaped area, must be at least six (6) inches in height, and must contain inlets at appropriate intervals to allow stormwater infiltration from the open parking area. The following additional requirements apply:
(1) Within the interior of the off-street parking area, interior landscaped areas shall be provided at the following rate:
|Number of Off-Street Parking Spaces||Amount of Landscaped Area Required Per Parking Space|
|25—100 spaces||18 square feet|
|101 spaces or more||22 square feet|
|Note: Area of off-street parking area excludes a paved area that is designed to be used exclusively for vehicle access between the street and the off-street parking area. It shall include the area of all aisles and driveways within the limits of the off-street parking area;|
(2) To be credited toward meeting the requirements of this section, each interior landscaped area shall have a minimum area of at least one hundred fifty (150) square feet, a minimum dimension of seven (7) feet in any direction, and include at least one (1) shade tree;
(3) Any landscaped area located outside the edges of the off-street parking area shall not be counted toward satisfying this interior landscaping requirement; and
(4) The total number of trees required to be planted in the interior of an off-street parking area shall be calculated and provided at a rate of one (1) shade tree for each two hundred fifty (250) square feet, or fraction thereof, of required interior landscaped area.
(5) Required interior landscaped areas must maximize effective stormwater management by incorporating:
a. curbs at the edge of the required interior landscaped areas to protect the plants;
b. landscaped areas installed at a lower grade than the parking lot pavement; and
c. curbing with openings to allow drainage from the pavement to enter and percolate into the ground in the landscaped areas.
Figure 61-14-223: Parking Lot Interior Landscaping for Lots Having at least 25 Spaces
[Figure provided in publication of Ord. No. 18-18 on August 22, 2018]
Amended by Ord. No. 18-18 (JCC 6/21/2018, Passed 7/24/2018, Approved 7/30/2018, Published 8/22/2018, Effective 8/30/2018); Saved From Repeal by Ord. No. 28-19 (JCC 7/23/2019, Passed 9/10/2019, Approved 9/11/2019, Published 9/20/2019, Effective 10/1/2019).