Hostels shall be subject to the following provisions:
(1) A hostel shall provide 24-hour management staffing when occupied.
(2) A hostel shall provide common interior space for residents, which may consist of a community kitchen, dining area, sitting area, or lobby.
(3) A hostel shall provide individual lockers or locked luggage rooms.
(4) Each sleeping room shall have a separate smoke alarm as required in the Michigan Building Code.
(5) A fire escape plan shall be developed and geographically displayed in each guest room.
(6) The use of a hostel is limited to a maximum of 17 consecutive days. There shall be a minimum of 21 days between stays for repeat visitors.
(7) A hostel shall provide a minimum of one lavatory, one shower, and one handwashing facility per 15 sleeping spaces. Lavatories, showers, and handwashing facilities must either be designed for the private use of a single user or divided into male and female facilities that are physically separate and distinct for the purpose of maintaining lodger privacy. Lavatories and bathing facilities shall be available to all persons using the premises.
(8) All prospective lodgers shall provide a government issued identification or driver’s license, passport, municipal identification , or an international student identification card as a condition of lodging.
(9) Lodging by minors under the age of 18 without a parent, legal guardian or an adult leader of an organized group shall not be permitted.
(10) Management shall adopt, inform lodgers of, and strictly enforce rules of conduct of its guests to ensure the operation of the hostel is not detrimental to the health, safety, peace or welfare of the neighborhood. All rules for the hostel shall be conspicuously displayed at locations throughout the premises and shall be printed in multiple languages to accommodate foreign travelers. These rules shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. Specific times for check-in, check-out; day time lock-out (for cleaning purposes) and a nighttime curfew, where applicable:
b. No animals may be kept on the premises with the exception of service animals as defined in MCL 287.291; and
c. No amplified music is allowed in any sleeping area.
(11) A hostel shall not exceed building occupancy limits established by the Buildings, Safety Engineering, and Environmental Department.
(12) The owner(s) or management of the hostel shall comply with all provisions and guidelines of Title VIII of the Fair Housing Act of 1968.
(13) A hostel shall provide clean bedding for each lodger.
(14) For lodgers staying longer than seven days, management shall provide laundry facilities or service. To maintain sanitary conditions, management may require bedding to be washed at least once per week.
Codified by Ord. No. 2019-48 (JCC 9/24/2019, Passed 11/26/2019, Approved 12/2/2019, Published 1/13/2020, Effective 1/13/2020).
Codified by Ord. No. 28-19 (JCC 7/23/2019, Passed 9/10/2019, Approved 9/11/2019, Published 9/20/2019, Effective 10/1/2019); Amended by Ord. No. 2019-48 (JCC 9/24/2019, Passed 11/26/2019, Approved 12/2/2019, Published 1/13/2020, Effective 1/13/2020).