It shall be unlawful to operate and maintain, or cause to be operated and maintained, a collection box located in the City of Detroit, except as follows:
(1) Collection boxes shall be metal or other appropriate material as approved by the Director of the Buildings, Safety Engineering, and Environmental Department;
(2) Collection boxes shall not exceed seven feet in height, six feet in width, and six feet in depth;
(3) Collection boxes shall be placed on a level, paved, asphalt or concrete; dust-free surface;
(4) Collection boxes shall be locked or otherwise secured in such a manner that the contents cannot be accessed by anyone other than those responsible for the retrieval of the contents;
(5) The front of each collection box shall provide, at minimum, in four-inch type, the following information;
a. Permit number;
b. The name, address, email, website and phone number of the co-box controller;
c. All the recipients of the proceeds;
d. If a charitable organization receives some but not all of the personal property placed in the collection box or the proceeds of that personal property, the recipients’ name, address, telephone number and percentage of the proceeds;
e. Information provided by the Buildings, Safety Engineering, and Environmental Department regarding how to file a complaint with the City; and
(6) The collection box shall not have information, advertising or logos other than those relating to the co-box controller, for profit or non-profit organization, and recipients of the proceeds;
(7) Collection boxes shall be serviced, as defined by Section 8-15-4 of this Code, at least every 21 days, and emptied, at least once every seven days. Notwithstanding this service and empty requirement, the collection boxes shall also be serviced and emptied as needed such that no overflow of solid waste, clothes or other donated items will remain outside of the collection box for more than 24 hours and the collection box remains free of infestation. The schedule of service and removal of the items shall be posted on the collection box such that it is visible to the public; and
(8) No collection box shall be placed on public property, and any collection box placed on public property will be removed in accordance with Sections 43-8-7 through 43-8-8 of this Code.
Codified by Ord. No. 2021-32 (JCC 7/20/2021, Passed 9/21/2021, Approved 9/22/2021, Published 10/22/2021, Effective 10/22/2021).