Description: The Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD) is the public elementary and secondary school system serving Detroit students. DPSCD is the largest K-12 school system in Michigan, with over 100 schools and approximately 50,000 students.
Leadership: DPSCD is governed by a 7-member Board of Education. Each member is independently elected. Current Board of Education members are:
- Angelique Peterson-Mayberry - President
- Dr. Deborah Hunter-Harvill - Vice President
- Misha Stallworth - Secretary
- Sonya Mays - Treasury
- Sherry Gay-Dagnogo
- Georgia Lemmons
- Bishop Corletta J. Vaughn
The Board of Education has numerous committees, including (committee chairperson in parentheses):
- Curriculum/Academic Committee (Bishop Corletta J. Vaughn)
- Finance Committee (Sonya Mays)
- Policy Ad Hoc Committee (Misha Stallworth)
- Legislative Chair (Sherry Gay-Dagnogo)
- Public Safety Oversight Committee (Misha Stallworth)
- Detroit Public Library Commission Appointee Committee (Dr. Deborah-Hunter-Harvill)
- Code of Conduct (Georgia Lemmons)
- Exceptional Student Education (Dr. Deborah Hunter-Harvill)
Public Meetings: The Board of Education and its committees host monthly public meetings to conduct their regular business.
Reporting on the DPSCD's public meetings is available from the Detroit Documenters.
Legal Authority: DPSCD operates under the legal authority of the Michigan Revised School Code (Public Act 451 of 1976, as amended by Public Act 192 of 2016).